Monday, January 3, 2011

Finding Meaning

For anyone who doesn't think that school brings meaning and purpose to your life, try being out of school after 18 years.  My life has been a constant sprint, especially the past 6 years.  I've always had a job and been in school.  Downgrading to a crappy part-time job, and no school, somehow I feel like I have less time. I could manage my time better when I had more things to do, now I come up with things to do just to be busy, but they are usually pointless/frivolous (aka facebook, magazines, tv).  I am now trying to prioritize better, because I am really not accomplishing anything.  I have attached a video of Dallin H. Oaks talk "Good, Better, Best" which is the inspiration for my change.  Because I have been fairly depressed since I finished school, I have hardly made any art, I feel I have no inspiration or motivation.  I am hoping that as I study the scriptures and pray more fervently I will be able to regain that inspiration.  For anyone who may feel the same, I hope this talk also inspires you to put the most important things first.  And as a side note, I discovered that I can write an online journal on lds.org, so I can read my scriptures online at work and also write notes in my online journal.

3 comments:

  1. That talk is a classic, and it's principles definitely help to "dejunk" our lives. I find myself needing to reprioritize often because sometimes unnecessary stuff seems to creep into my life without me realizing it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the talk lady. Nothing in this world compares to scriptures study and prayer as a way to help us be happy. Teaching seminary this year has forced me into more rigorous study and this has made a huge difference for me, helping me to overcome some personal weaknesses that I have been working on for some time. It's so cool the church has so many tools available for us online. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from Ann's- pretty random, I know. ANyway I am slightly devastated to hear you aren't making art lately.(gasp) I was just staring at a print we bought from you at the student art show, it is a woodcut print of a bridge in red. I love it. It hangs in our living room, next to photos of family, exotic locales, and our younger hotter selves. It brought me a bright moment of joy as I looked at it yesterday. I just wanted to say thanks for that. & Don't stop making art!
    -Kay Montgomery, Philly

    ReplyDelete